COMING TO SPOKANE IN APRIL 2018
FEMINIST ART FESTIVAL!
FemFest, Spokane’s first feminist arts festival, presents visual arts, spoken word, live music and other entertainment that addresses the stigmatization of feminism. FemFest features positive, diverse representations of feminism, and speak to the importance of intersectionality as the new feminist paradigm. Persist!
Saturday, April 14th, 2018
The Bartlett | Spokane, WA
The deadline for art submissions has passed. We received submissions from over 60 artists and performers! The Spokane community is expressing so much support for Spokane Area NOW's first feminist art festival. Thank you to all who submitted, donated and registered to volunteer!
Organizers are currently reaching out to all of the artists who submitted art and performance works. Gallery space is limited, so final selections will be made by a jury of artists and Spokane NOW members.
Interested in volunteering at FemFest? Please complete the FemFest Volunteer Registration form, and let us know how you would like to help.
The goals and mission of FemFest Spokane 2018, Spokane’s first feminist arts festival, are to present art, spoken word, live music and other entertainment that addresses the stigmatization of feminism, present positive, diverse representations of feminism, and speak to the importance of intersectionality as the new feminist paradigm.
Spokane Area NOW believes that to advance feminism as a socio-political movement, feminism de-stigmatization must occur first. We strive to be an intersectional feminist organization, and as such, to address our privilege and inherent bias, incorporate the perspectives of women and girls of color and the LGBT+ community in our actions, increase our diversity, and be an ally to racial justice organizations.
It is expected that this event will be staffed by 20 - 40 volunteers and will turnout 500+ attendees.
The intended audience for FemFest Spokane 2018 includes those who already align themselves with feminism as well as those who feel alienated by, mistrustful of, and uncomfortable with feminism.
The intended outcome of FemFest Spokane 2018 is for attendees to experience positive interpretations of feminism related to any of the following philosophies:
- Feminism today is based on the philosophy of intersectionality, a framework that recognizes the multiple aspects of identity that enrich our lives and experiences and that compound and complicate oppressions and marginalizations (1)
- Feminism welcomes all races, classes, gender identities, sexual orientations, and religious, political, economic, cultural, and ideological backgrounds. It is not meant to be the domain of the white, middle class, able-bodied, heterosexual, cisgender, female.
Feminism supports questioning what we’ve been taught about forcing people into traditional roles and valuing some groups less than others.
- Feminism identifies discrimination, exploitation, and oppression — and not men — as the problem.
- Feminism acknowledges how patriarchy calls for men to dominate, abuse, exploit, and silence women and other marginalized groups to maintain superiority.
- Feminism strives to end patriarchy due to the danger it poses to men as well as women.
Unique challenges for this event include:
Overcoming the stigmatization and de-legitimization of feminism
Convincing other marginalized groups that despite traditional feminism’s past failures to be an ally (to communities of color and the LGBT+ community in particular), that being an ally is a main focus of today’s feminist paradigm: intersectional feminism.
(1) Why Our Feminism Must Be Intersectional (And 3 Ways to Practice It), Jarune Uwujaren and Jamie Utt, EverydayFeminism, January 11, 2015.
Support FemFest with a donation!
FemFest is entirely organized by volunteers from Spokane Area NOW and our sassy sister-group, the Shrinking Violet Society. Learn more about our work in the Spokane community by visiting with us in person at FemDrinks or Ladies Who Lunch. Or, send us an email!
CONTACT THE EVENT ORGANIZERS
If you'd like to participate as an artist, sponsor the event or donate food or drink, please send us a message: FemFestSpokane@gmail.com
Spokane Area NOW is a 501c(3) and 501(c)4 organization, meaning that any donations are not tax deductible. But it also means that we can be political: endorse candidates, canvass, phone bank and work with other local, state and national organizations to ensure we have the right representation for our community.